Wednesday, December 29, 2010

About Those Kitchen Cabinets

The internet has little to tell me about the cabinets made by Scheirich Kitchens. Most of the info I have gathered came from the responses to a post on The Pioneer Woman's blog.

Angela In CA said Scheirich was pronounced "Shy-rik". Good to know!

Many of the commenters referred to the website for Spencer's Scheirich Cabinets for replicas and replacement parts.

Generally, anyone who mentioned Scheirich cabinets adored them, and waxed nostalgic about how they used to be in gramma's kitchen, or at the little cabin by the lake, et cetera. They loved the cabinets' durability and quality of construction.

A comment from Jen states: "I don’t know about yours but I can’t fit a box of cereal, ketchup bottle or anything in mine! My new plates have to be put in at an angle and the door barely closes on them.... The things are hard to clean too! You wipe too hard and the varnish will come off and when they dry you have a light spot where you rub."

That was the only negative comment regarding these cabinets. Well, should I encounter those drawbacks, maybe I can do something about them. The shelves in the cabinets are fixed in place, which could be aggravating. Perhaps I can modify them to be adjustable-height. I'm not too concerned with keeping the insides of the cabinet boxes perfectly vintage.

Also, coincidence of coincidences, good friends of mine who live nearby (near where we live now, not near the house featured in this blog) have these exact same cabinets in her kitchen! I only noticed a few days ago! Theirs are in better condition than mine, and probably have the original handles. Plus, theirs has very nice glass doors on the cabinet over the fridge. I'll be sure to post a picture of that.

Dangit, where did I put my camera?

No comments:

Post a Comment