Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Selecting Floor Tile for the Entryway and Kitchen: Suggestions?

I don't aim to decorate my mid-century home with period-style furnishings, but I do want to keep the features of this house consistent with the time and spirit in which it was built.

Originally, the entryway and kitchen had some kind of speckled, multicolored resilient sheet flooring, which we discovered when we removed the pink, wall-to-wall living room carpet. Doesn't it look festive?

I love the idea of a durable, nonporous, easy-to-clean floor in these areas. I'd settle for a new layer of sheet vinyl, but Tom feels strongly that it should be some kind of ceramic tile. I have asked him several times about just how strongly he feels about vinyl vs tile, and he is unmoving.

I must confess I am not inflexible on this; I dig ceramic tile. Also, this decision needs to be made quickly, if the work is to be done and we are to move in before the end of January.

However, I still want to restore, not "remuddle". I am hoping to find a ceramic tile usage consistent to the era, but the retro research I've done so far only shows ceramic tile in bathrooms. Was it ever used in other parts of the house? Would it be anachronistic to do so?

2 comments:

  1. You wrote this last week, but I am only catching up with your posts today! Yes, ceramic tile was installed in entryways in that era. My grandparents have the original tile in their entryway in a late 1950s era house here in Columbia. I don't have a photo of it, but it's very small tile (maybe 1" or 2" square) and in multiple colors of rose and cream but not in a pattern, kind of confetti-ish! It's just like this but in the front hall, not the bathroom: http://bit.ly/eH09Ar

    You could also do slate tile like this Retro Renovation post: http://bit.ly/gNHN7l

    Another option instead of sheet vinyl is linoleum tile, the kind that was installed in most of our grade schools. It's perfect for the era, it's very durable (much more so than sheet vinyl), and it's extremely eco-friendly to boot. Main Squeeze downtown has it installed and it looks bright and friendly. Would be perfect for the modern mud room, kitchen, or basement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Abbie!

    The confetti mosaic tiles are fun! But I just can't picture them attractively bridging two areas of hardwood floor. And neither Tom nor I can get enthused about the linoleum tile for this area, either.

    The mood at the time the house was built seemed to be "better = modern = manmade and synthetic". The beauty of natural materials was not so appreciated.

    However, Tom and I both love the look of natural stone flooring.

    Our house has a lot of natural-color wood (trim, floors, k. cabinets), so choosing a stone-look floor seems not out of place. I am hoping so, anyway!

    I may have even found a photo reference to back me up on this, on the Flickr account of JAVA1888. Look at the smaller photo in the middle--does it not look like simulated stone?

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/java1888/4457077217/in/gallery-94869643@N00-72157625589624393/

    I KNOW I also saw an ad with what looked like a slate stone floor in a laundry room, but I cannot find it now...

    Also, we are pretty much out of time and must pick something in stock at the local stores. At the moment our pick is Sedona Slate Cedar from Lowe's.

    ReplyDelete