Sunday, December 19, 2010

The Beginning of Our Split-Level Adventures

Tom and I had been on-again off-again searching for a better house for maybe a couple of years, but without luck. Of the houses we could afford, we rejected many because of foundation damage or other daunting stuctural qualities, and the rest because Tom and I had differing aesthetics; he wanted a ranch-style home like he and his friends grew up in, and I kept finding myself drawn to blocky bungalows and other quirky little abodes. I finally gave up, resigned myself to staying in our current home indefinitely, and stopped wasting my realtor's time.

A few months later, in a moment of boredom, I again looked online for houses. This time only two fit our search criteria, one of them a ranch-style split-level with inground pool. The pool deterred me; I wanted nothing to do with the maintenence and liability. But something about the house amused me, and I sent a link to Tom in jest. He replied with serious interest, and I reconsidered. I called my realtor and we went to see it.

It smelled, of dirty carpet and stale air and mildew and dust. The house had been vacant for about three years and the lack of ventilation (we supposed) had allowed light grey mildew to bloom on doors and acoustic tiles. The windows were covered with dark, opressive curtains. However, the spaces of the house were welcoming, and almost immediately my imagination populated the house with visiting friends.

Even the stairways between the levels were inviting. I don't remember ever having been in a house with that layout before. I wandered up and down the stairs just experiencing the levels, with a big goofy smile on my face. The more we explored the house, the more we liked it.

We went home marveling that we had found a house that we both liked simultaneously.

Closing was December 3, 2010.

I will learn to crop photos soon.

1 comment: